Friday, February 28, 2014

And then God said, "this should be funny"

I know now that God has a sense of humor - and a really good one!  I'm not mad at him with how this week has panned out.  I think I actually reached the point with my employment that is acceptance.  This will be the kick in the butt I need to make the change I've been wanting to make for the last 18 months.  Anyways... what happened yesterday afternoon is what my title of this post is directly related to.

If you had told me last Sunday that THIS was how my week was going to go down, I would've laughed in your face.  A big old belly laugh.  

So with the job loss, two pending dates with two different people, I think God thought "eh, why not throw one more thing into the mix?"

*Disclaimer - if you are in any way squeamish... you may want to skip this post!

Yesterday, I had a pre-scheduled appointment with a podiatrist to take a look at the nail on my big toe.  It had been bothering me.  I messed around with it and it wasn't getting better.  My coworker thought I might have an ingrown, so I made an appointment like a good adult to see the doctor.

After seeing the doctor, she was concerned by the amount of irritation and said that in order to clean it and let anything drain, she would need to take the whole toe nail off and get a sample of what was under there.

So we went through the procedure of numbing my toe and then I had to look away when she was removing the nail.  I have a pretty tough stomach and most things don't bother me... but having a toe nail peeled off.  Ugh.  No thank you.

I was busying myself with my phone when I saw her reach to open the door and call out, "Nancy, bring the camera."

I will tell you.  That goes on the list of THINGS YOU NEVER WANT TO HEAR YOUR DOCTOR SAY.  For me, it goes directly under when my dentist was pulling teeth for implants and he goes "uh oh".  Seriously.  No dentist of doctor should EVER EVER say uh oh.

Anyways....  why she was asking for the camera was because there was a clearly defined "growth" underneath the nail that was pushing the nail away from the skin.  Hence the irritation and other issues.  She said because the "growth" was perfectly circular and felt hard, almost bony, there was a good chance it was "just a bone spur".

She threw out words like, or a cyst or small tumor - BUT NOTHING SERIOUS (I love how doctors do that) and sent me down to get an x-ray before I went home.  She said she would probably be able to call me and tell me by the end of the day.

So I went through the waiting process for the x-rays, stopped at CVS for gauze and supplies and headed home.  She said I would have only mild discomfort for the first couple of days until the skin started to toughen up, but she did not warn me that during the time that the numbing was wearing off - it felt like she was still attempting to rip off the nail!

She called me back around 6:30pm (while I was getting ready for my date) and told me that the x-rays confirmed it was a bone spur.  That they are VERY common, especially with athletes, and that I would need to schedule surgery so she could remove it.

And THAT is how God played a joke with my yesterday.  Fortunately, it did little to dissuade my enthusiasm for my date that night - which I will talk about it a follow up post. :)

1 comment:

  1. Does this mean you'll be recovered and ready to wear peep-toe shoes when the weather warms?

    ReplyDelete