Monday, September 26, 2011

The craziest of crazy weeks

On top of being stressed last week, I just had a lot of stuff going on.

A lot happened house wise last week that sort of blew up in my face.  After what I will now call the "emailing fiasco of September 2011", I had a pretty frank conversation with my ex on the phone.  It's the first time I've spoken to him on the phone since I first asked back in January if Melissa and Justin could live in the house.  It was tremendous progress on my part that I remained composed for the whole conversation.  The end result was that we were moving forward with getting our short sale application to the bank.  To make a long story short, the conversation I had with the bank was totally contradictory to what we had both heard previous about how the short sale process should work.  So while he is in charge of submitting our financial information, I am moving forward with putting the house on the market.  I am working now on setting up a meeting with a realtor to get the ball rolling.

Then, while this was going on, Justin and I finally got around to tearing up the carpet in the basement.  You remember the leak, right?  Well, it turns out it was WAY worse than I originally thought.  So I added "contacting the home insurance" to my list of things to do the next day.  Here's how that played out:

1. Call said home insurance.
2. Insurance tells me I'm calling the wrong company.  Gives me new company and contact information.
3. Cal second insurance company.  They tell me it's the wrong company.  Gives me new company and contact information.
4. Call third insurance company.  They tell me that only property managers (from the HOA) can make claims.
5. Track down property manager.  Finally reach them, schedule a visit with a contractor to find out the source of the leak.  Also find out that my home insurance deductible is $5,000.  WHAT?  Yeah, five-fricking-thousand dollars.

So I flew out of work in time to get home and walk Samson before 4pm so I would be home to meet the contractor.  6:30 rolls around and the contractor FINALLY shows up.  Turns out it's my neighbor.  After an hour, we find out that the leak is coming from my shower, six floors above the basement.

Now I have an appointment with a plumber tomorrow afternoon.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the fix will be fairly easy and hopefully not too expensive.  I think I know about where the leak is happening, so we'll see.

So, yeah... busy.  I have the house stuff, the leak stuff, the work stuff (because remember, I'm down a staff member) and now I feel like I am formally managing the process of this housing dilemma.  And it's exhausting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment