Every time someone asks me that question I say a little "I'm sorry" to every time I told me dad, "I have no idea what you do".
I truly appreciate now, how difficult it was for my dad to put some context around his job when I was 12, 15, 22... :) I feel his pain now.
I figured since I am just days away from the annual event that I spend all year working on that this would be an appropriate time to put a little perspective.
I work for a non proft membership association. In short terms, we provide educational needs and certification to those in our members' field of expertise. (I'm intentionally trying to be a little vague here just in case someone randomly stumbles into my blog). My job at this association is to plan and develop our annual meeting/conference and ensure it's ultimate success. Sounds fancy doesn't it? :) I've been practicing.
Our conference consists of 2 days of professional development courses, a day of pre-conference workshops (half day or full day classes) and then 3.5 days of sessions. The sessions can be one hour or 1.5 hours depending on the type of session. In addition to the educational portion, there is also an exhibit hall, where companies pay to have a booth and promote their products/services. We also have several "networking" opportunities (I'm really growing to hate that word).
I work closely with a meeting planner that really handles all the logistical aspects of the planning (food orders, space, all the signage, etc.) and an adminstrator that works with all the speakers. So then, what is it that you do, Megan? If those people do those jobs.
TO be honest, I don't know how to put it into 20 words or less. I oversee the development and planning of all aspects of the conference and I responsible for the staff onsite to make sure everything goes smoothly.
So I will be heading to Seattle on Monday for 10 days. Coming back with just enough time to do laundry and repack for Mexico. Posts will be almost non existent, but I will do my best.
No comments:
Post a Comment